We ask leading educators how they bring Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives into their programs.
Try these reflective questions to use with this video, either individually or at your next staff meeting or PD session:
- Why does every Australian child have the right to learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures?
- What are some of the ways educators in the video included Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives in their programs?
- Do you agree with Rose Kelly’s comment that “if there is context with tokenism, then it is still meaningful”?
- How confident do you feel when it comes to embedding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives? Do you ever worry about ‘doing the wrong thing’ or offending Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people? If yes, should this stop you from trying?
- Does your program reflect local Aboriginal practices? How could you find out more?
In memory of Rose Kelly, passionate advocate and former Director of Windsor Community Children's Centre Co-op.