How can we meaningfully include children with disabilities in early and middle childhood programs? In this moving video, educators describe what they do, why they do it and the benefits for all children.
Try these reflective questions to use with this video, either individually or at your next staff meeting or PD session:
- What are your attitudes towards disability? And how do those ideas affect others?
- Is there anything you’re afraid of or that holds you back?
- Do you know the strengths of all your children and are they what you see first?
- Can you think of a time you didn’t feel capable of including a child? What was missing?
- Why isn’t funding for an additional educator always the most appropriate solution to challenges faced?
- Is your service inclusion ready?
- Could you do anything to be more prepared? How can your service intentionally plan for the success of all children?